"Hillbilly concertos, Appalachian grooves,
ferocious folk funk & many manly moves"
Rick Scott and Nico Rhodes
ROOTS & GROOVES
Veteran dulcimer maverick and
young keyboard ace join forces
for an intergenerational smorgasbord
of roots, rhythm and groove!
What do you get when you combine
a famed folkie with a rising star
seasoned expertise and youthful exuberance
old school groove with Broadway chops?
Rick and Nico blur all boundaries,
in a word, they cook!
"In these troubled times,
your music makes me feel good
about myself and the world!"
Rick and Nico are recording a CD, due out in September! This collaboration has been decades in the making. At age 8 Nico wrote Rick a fan letter and at age 23 he orchestrated Rick’s music for symphony. Equally proficient on keyboards and woodwinds, he’s in constant demand across Canada as an arranger and musical director for stage shows from Chemainus to Ontario, when not playing jazz with his own trio or touring with renowned chanteuse Joelle Rabu.
LET'S MAKE IT RIGHT
"I had the very real pleasure of attending Rick Scott and Nico Rhodes at Char’s landing. I LOVED this show. Such a great cross section of music that appealed to all ages and tastes. I already knew of Rick’s talent as a singer/songwriter/dulcimer player and his special charisma on stage as a performer, and he brought all of that to this show. The excellent surprise was the addition of Nico to this. Wow! Such an amazing pianist and performer. But I think what impressed me the most and made this a concert I will always remember was the wonderful collaboration and sharing on stage between these two artists, their very real and visible caring for each other and the magic and joy their music. Such a great evening. Thank you." KR, Port Alberni
"We’ve done about ten house concerts now and of all of them, Rick and Nico’s had everything going for it. It was what a show should be in every way. It had a joy to it because it came from inside each of them and it was utterly infectious. They had everything burning bright and right. Here are some Facebook comments: That was a fantastic show! That was one of the best concerts I've ever enjoyed! Absolutely fantastic entertainers! Thank you for bringing these two charming, gifted firecrackers to us! It was a grand concert!" JM, Hornby Island
ROOTS & GROOVES TOUR DATES
Sun July 2 Nanaimo House Concert 7 pm SOLD OUT
Sun Aug 13 Protection Island House Concert
Sat Sept 23 Victoria UN Peace Day w/Puppets For Peace
Sat Sept 16 UN Peace Day at Maffeo Sutton Park, Nanaimo
Sunday Sept 17 Nanaimo Jazz Festival
Sat Oct 7 Blue Frog Studios, White Rock
Fri Oct 13 Cranberry Hall, Powell River
Wed Feb 14/18 Maury Young Arts Centre, Whistler, BC
For ticket details click www.rickscott.ca/shows
“Nico Rhodes is astonishing, not just an accompanist, you have to hear and see him caress, cajole and at times almost punish the piano. Breathtakingly fresh sounds and style radiate from this young musician whose hands effortlessly fly across a keyboard leaving us in utter amazement and jumping to our feet at the end of a solo!”
Since emerging in the ‘70s in iconic folk trio Pied Pumkin, Rick has released 18 recordings and performed his highly original music in nine countries, earning three Juno nominations and Vancouver Island, Western Canadian and Canadian Folk Music Awards. Singer, songwriter, actor and raconteur, he is legendary for his capacity to combine music and humour to uplift and refresh the human spirit.
“Rick Scott is an enchanter, an alchemist creating gold out of dross with music as his catalyst. He uses every fibre of his being to translate private experience into shared experience, what he does is a day-glo yo-yo of theatre, music, mime, poetry, philosophy and confession spinning on a string of laughter.” www.rickscott.ca
TECHNICAL SPECIFICATIONS ROOTS & GROOVES
PERFORMERS: Rick Scott – dulcimer and vocals, Nico Rhodes – piano, vocals and horns
- A professional sound system with reverb, graphic EQ and operator
- Grand or baby piano tuned on stage max 2 days prior to performance OR
- OR a digital electric piano: Yamaha P Series P105 or Korg SV-1 or Roland V piano with full 88 weighted keys, 2 pedals, necessary cables and AC cord, a sturdy adjustable keyboard stand, music stand and adjustable bench.
- two D.I. (“Direct In”) XLR lines for Rick’s wireless vocal and dulcimer mics(he will bring wireless system)
- one D.I. (“Direct In”) XLR line for electric piano – OR - PZM or boom mics for acoustic piano
- two SM 58 vocal mics with cable on boom stands
- two stage monitors, powered or with amp, one at piano and one centre
- electrical power to the stage area
- stool (approx. 36” in height)
- For Family Shows, CD or thumb drive playback through house and monitors
- Lighting system to include basic colour washes plus specials Downstage Center, Stage Left and at Piano (SR Centre position).
ACCOMMODATION AND HOSPITALITY:
- Accommodation: 2 king or queen non-smoking rooms in reputable hotel (clean,
with modern amenities, close to venue)
- Transport to and from airport
- Coffee/tea, water and a snack or sandwich tray would be greatly appreciated during set up
time. No allergies or specific dietary needs.
- 4 complimentary tickets to the performance.
TECHNICAL CONTACT: Valley Hennell 250-740-0047 email@example.com